Throughout 2013, Capital City Alliance has worked hard to engage, promote, and advocate for the LGBT community in greater Baton Rouge. We have endeavored to provide a face and strong voice for the community, and have sparked initiatives that will hopefully make a difference in the lives of LGBT people in Baton Rouge and across the state.
Of course, none of our efforts and success this year would have been possible without your time, dedication, and financial support. We hope you will consider volunteering or
- Within minutes of the news breaking, CCA was on the phone with the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office negotiating an end to unconstitutional sting operations targeting our community. Our work with the Sheriff has led to the creation of an LGBT liaison within the Office, reporting of hate crime statistics, and other positive changes.
- CCA spearheaded a pioneering statewide poll with our partners showing overwhelming support for the fair treatment of LGBT people in employment and housing, and school bullying prevention.
- Monthly 2nd Sunday Brunches
have continued to help build community and introduce new members to the organization.
- Over 300 participants, and 30 benefactors and co-sponsors, took part in our Second Annual Equality March following Pride Fest this past June.
- CCA put on activities that directly enriched the community including a self-defense workshop with PKSA Karate and an LGBTQ financial planning workshop with Morgan Stanley.
- In December, we collected over 100 gifts for children affected by HIV/AIDS in the Baton Rouge area for our OUT in the Community Service Project.
- CCA hosted its Fourth Annual Kings, Queens, and Everything in Between Drag Show at Splash in August and a wildly successful Date Auction at Splash in February.
This past year has certainly been a great success for Capital City Alliance and the greater Baton Rouge LGBT community! It could not have been possible without your support. Every donation goes directly toward improving and engaging our community, making Baton Rouge a more inclusive and rich place for LGBT people to live. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation of $15, $25, or $50 dollars—whatever you can afford—so that Capital City Alliance can continue making a difference in the new year to come.
Thank you for a wonderful year and your continued support!